Thursday 24 April 2014

BOOK OF THE DAY: Lodestone by Wendy Scott







BOOK DESCRIPTION
There’s a cauldron of trouble brewing in Valloaria…

Download Lodestone today and strap on your broomstick –you’re in for a hell of a ride: The Witch-Hunt Series.

Two tales entwine (excerpts below). 

Sabrina and Lauren’s tales entwine – linked by blood and magic. Sabrina, a newly fledged healer, is thrust out of her sheltered life at Mistress Florisah’s healing school after the destruction of the witch-ancestor portraits. An anti-witchcraft militia is poised on Karthalon’s borders threatening full scale genocide, unless Sabrina, the last of Lauren’s bloodline, can destroy the Lodestone, and restore magic to Valloaria, but the Lodestone is buried deep within the heart of the Order’s headquarters. Sabrina struggles to accept this suicide mission, and is distracted by her inappropriate affection for Micah, a prospect monk. Lauren’s ghost haunts Sabrina’s dreams as her diary reveals the tragic events behind Lauren’s actions. With invasion imminent, Sabrina embarks on her quest armed only with a sliver of the Lodestone, and Lauren’s diary but how can a lone girl prevail against an army?

Excerpt - Lauren
They attacked me alone, in pairs and in mass with their witchy ways, but their magic fell short; I was immune. Blasts of power seared from their fingertips and stonework exploded above, below and next to me, but nothing penetrated the brilliant glow of the Lodestone and they fell back, shrieking in frustration. I glowered at those not fast enough to move out of me way and they vaporized in an orange flash, to black flakes that I trampled underfoot. 

Excerpt - Sabrina
A shirtless youth, with his back to her, hummed as he brushed a dark horse. The horse was standing perfectly still as if the boy’s song had lulled him to sleep. Sabrina silently observed the prospect as he worked. He was tall with a slender build, but she could see the muscles in his tanned back and arms ripple with each stroke. His brown hair was caught up in an intricate knot threaded by two long feathers; one red, the other purple. She’d never met anyone like him before.

She shuffled forward to get a better view, but her brush whacked into the wooden partition. He whirled around and she found herself staring into the brownest eyes, framed by the longest lashes she’d ever seen. They gawked at each other for a moment before Sabrina rediscovered her tongue. “I … I was sent to care for your horses.” 

He pointed with his brush, to the horses behind him and said, “I’ve finished the others. Only Alloni, the brown and white, needs attention.” 

Sabrina scurried to the indicated stall. Where was his shirt? As if reading her thoughts, he casually reached down and grabbed a white shirt. Slowly, he pulled it over his damp shoulders and Sabrina hastily focused on the horse. Her strokes were a bit shorter and harder than she normally applied and the horse shifted beneath the brush. Before she could correct herself, strong fingers, radiating warmth, slipped over hers and a voice laced with musk, breathed into her ear. “Not so firm. Alloni likes long, languid strokes – like this.” 

Heat blazed into spots on her cheeks as she followed his movements. After several strokes he said, “That’s it, you’ve got the knack of it now.” 

He released her hand and stepped away. Sabrina felt as awkward as a newborn foal so she kept her eyes averted and silently busied herself with the horse. From outside, a muffled yell filtered through the stable and the boy said, “Deakon wants me. Will you be all right finishing up?”
She didn’t trust herself to speak. “Ah-ha.”


Contains adult themes.

Bonus material:
An excerpt of Ferrasium, Book 1: The Windflowers Trilogy is included at the conclusion of Lodestone. 




AUTHOR BIO



As a child I had a ferocious imagination and immersed myself in creating stories and poems. One birthday I begged for a chemistry set, sensing the promise of adventure from the glittering vials of copper sulphate and salt. At that time, I didn't know I was following in the footsteps of my grandfather who had studied science in Edinburgh in 1899. A further trace back into my Scottish ancestry uncovered an ancestor known as 'the wizard'. So I could dabble with potions too, I gained a NZ Certificate in Science (Chemistry) and worked in a variety of laboratories (salt, meat, dairy and wine) in NZ and Australia. The wine tasted the best!

During my 5 years in Adelaide, Australia, I completed several writing courses at the WEA. When my partner, son (5 months), dog and I moved back to NZ we lived in a house truck for 3 years while our off-the-grid house was planned and built. During this period I wrote on a solar powered laptop and completed many correspondence courses from the AWA.


I write adult fantasy, children's novels and I'm currently branching into romance.


In 2012 my children's MS, Hieroglyph was selected for the NZSA MS Assessment Programme and was further selected for one of five mini-mentorships.


My children's novel, Tails, will be released late 2013.


When I'm not glued to my laptop writing or engrossed in a book, I love walking my dog on the wild West Coast beaches and trolling for sea glass, riding my bike or going for bush walks. I always wished I could fly so maybe that's why I love roller coasters. I'm a connoisseur of coffee and chocolate and I counter my addictions with Zumba and Spin classes. I believe life is an adventure and we should all live a life less ordinary.


Please visit Wendy's website and blog www.wendyjscott.com or 'Like me' on facebook http://www.facebook.com/AuthorWendyScott


I love hearing from readers and if you enjoyed my books I'd appreciate it if you could take a few moments to post a review. Thanks and happy reading. Wendy X


REVIEWS
5.0 out of 5 stars Blew me away. June 11, 2013
Format:Kindle Edition
Witch Hunt
5 stars
(2nd Review for June)
www.reviewoffantasy.com

When I first started reading the book it felt like harry potter, a story written for a younger person, but I was given this book by the author for an honest review so I kept reading.

Wow. What a story, I cried so many times, not just a few tears, at one stage I had to stop reading because it became too much for me. The loss of a loved one in the book was so real and raw; that it felt as if the authors own experiences had been pasted in this book. It tore at me so much. Lauren was a woman cursed in a sense since birth, hardworking, loyal, and loving and what she was subjected to and suffered was heart wrenching, and her vengeance was understandable it was as powerful as her love.

The story is told mostly through the eyes of Sabrina a healer growing up in a world where witch craft is forbidden by the Order of Lauren. Sabrina is kind and shy, simple in ways living a protected life, with no knowledge of who she is. Until she discovers she is a relative of Lauren a women who is remembered incorrectly as being evil. As the story develops we see Sabrina conquer her fears, and she grows so much it's like watching her transform into another person. The story is fast paced and doesn't slow down at all, the lands that the author creates are haunting at times, yet so breath-taking like the forest or the city of Sha' La' Shang. The plot is thick with deceit, murder and greed.

The love story between Sabrina and Micah is there through the whole book, but it doesn't over power the story at all, it alters the future for Sabrina, but I can't wait to read the second book to see where they end up, and find out what exactly Sabrina will do now that her powers have fully ignited.
A wonderful story, one that I would highly recommend, I applaud the author for a tale that made me cry, squirm with unease, and made my heart pound with anticipation.


OTHER WORKS
Ferrasium. (The Windflowers Trilogy)

No comments:

Post a Comment