Tuesday 10 June 2014

99 CENT BOOK FIND: The Cut-Out by Jon King

Available for JUST 99 CENTS is The Cut-Out by Jon King (Click here for UK purchase) .  Why not grab a copy before it goes back to full price?






BOOK DESCRIPTION
He said he was a retired Special Forces Green Beret, a CIA runner, so I knew the information he had was potentially explosive. But even so, I never imagined he would tell me what he did: that someone of global renown, “within days from now”, would be assassinated, and that the hit would be made to look like an “accident”. Why tell me? A low-key conspiracy journalist? I didn’t know. And quite frankly, I didn’t believe him, either—until a week later, when Princess Diana was killed in a car crash, an “accident”…

That’s when the nightmare kicked in.

Was this the “accident” the American had told me about? my incredulous mind was suddenly forced to consider. Had Diana just been assassinated in a car crash? Who else knew what the American knew? Was he working alone? Or on ‘Company’ orders? Who else knew that he’d divulged this information to me?

My mind was a bad place to be.

Fearing for my own and my family’s safety, I turned to the one person I figured might be able to help. I’d known Rob Lacey for close on 20 years. He was a longstanding friend. He was also a frontline MI5 officer, and I knew that if anyone could offer insights, Lacey could. Trouble was, the insights he offered were not what I wanted to hear. “You’re on file as a tap,” he told me, meaning I was being surveilled. “Whatever your American friend said, you can rest assured our people heard it, too.”

In a hammer-blow twist Lacey also assured me that an MI6 plot to ‘take care of Diana’ had been hatched months ago, and that the plot had won support from the CIA due to the furious success of her landmines campaign. The man behind the plot, he said, was the head of MI6 Special Operations Europe, Richard Mason, someone Lacey had crossed swords with in the past: someone I would cross swords with soon enough.

Of course, at this stage I had no idea I was being used as a pawn, that I’d been set up as a ‘cut-out’ in one of the most deadly conspiracies of modern times. All I knew was I’d been told something I wished I’d never been told. And that, because I had, the most obsessive, terrifying and increasingly paranoid struggle to find answers was about to consume my life.

*Set mainly in London and Paris, The Cut-Out is an autobiographical spy novel of immense personal ordeal and chilling consequence. It is based on a true story.

No comments:

Post a Comment