Tuesday 12 January 2016

INTERVIEW: Dee Ernst

FUYour Amazon bio explains how you got into writing romance, what inspired you to write mysteries?
DE: I’ve always loved mysteries - I’ve probably read more of those than any other genre. But I knew that writing one was going to be much harder for me that a rom-com. However, I couple of years ago, I got a story idea in my head that could only be used in a mystery. When I was thinking about a series, that idea came back to me, so I thought I’d finally give mysteries a try. It’s been much harder than I thought it would be - it’s not just about killing somebody and working backwards!
FU:  I've seen that you've experienced a degree of ageism with publishers.  Specifically, you write about more mature characters rather than the typical twenty-somethings but the publishers seem less than enthusiastic about it. How do you deal with this?  What advice do you have for authors wanting to follow your lead?
DE: I deal with this by self-publishing, and why I am so happy to be working with Amazon imprints. I know my audience, and I know how happy they are to read about women their own age. My advice to other writers — if you’ve found an audience that appreciates your work, don’t throw them over for some editor in NYC.


FU: You've written so many books.  Which is your favourite and why?
DE: Better Off Without Him is my fave, not just because it is my most successful thus far, but because it was the book that helped me find my voice and my audience.
FU:  They say that every character has some of the author in him/her.  Which of your characters is most like you?  In what way?
DE:  They kind of all are. They have my sense of humor, and my attitude that you can’t take yourself too seriously. All my characters are unmarried, and I’m happily married, so if I ever write about a character celebrating 30 happy years, that’s the one that will be most like me!
FU:  You have a new book coming out soon. Can you tell us a bit about that? What else is on the horizon?  What are your new projects?
DE:  The Mt. Abrams series is my first series, my first novellas, and my first attempt at mysteries. That’s a whole lot to deal with, but so far the feedback has been very positive. I also have a Lake Union book coming out in June that’s more my usual style - older characters, great friendships, a little romance - but it also happens to be very much of a ‘caper’. These ladies find themselves wrapped up in a fake kidnapping, and have to figure out how to save their butts. I had a blast writing it, and I’m really happy with how it turned out.
FU: Thank you for chatting with us!

DE: Thanks so much - these are actually great questions!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment