Monday 20 June 2016

INTERVIEW: Bryant Reil


Flurries Unlimited (FU) was lucky enough to have a quick chat with fledgling author Bryant Reil (BR) about his work, studies and new release, Elf Mastery.  This is what we discussed:
FU:  With so many different genres to choose from, what inspired you to write elvish fantasy?
BR:  I don’t consider Elf Mastery to be elvish fantasy. Despite the titular character being an elf, she is immersed in a diverse cast of creatures from various mythologies (minotaurs, nymphs, satyrs, etc). An elf seemed a good choice for a protagonist because it is a familiar enough fantasy character to act as the eyes of the reader.
I would call Elf Mastery a contemporary fantasy, as it takes place in modern times but ‘behind-the-scenes’ to our world.
In terms of writing fantasy, I have been a fan of the genre since I was four. I saw a play with a fantasy theme and became wrapped up in the imagination of it. While I do enjoy reading many books with a non-fantasy theme, I much prefer writing stories that have fantastic or supernatural elements.
FU:  How did you go from working in the Canadian Federal Government to writing fiction?
BR:  I have been writing for many years as a hobby, but have never gone anywhere with it. I left my job in order to pursue a Master’s degree. This had the happy side effect of giving me more control over my schedule, and I devoted more time to writing. I do have years of unpublished work piled up, and do hope to return and finish some of my other projects as well.
FU:  What exactly is "Integrated Studies"?
BR:  It is a combination of courses. In my case I am trying to combine writing and technology. I would like to look at therapeutic/practical applications for Virtual Reality, as I have a background in working with 3D. However, course availability and funding for equipment will play a role in where I end up.
FU:  Elf Mastery is your first book despite having completed many unpublished writing projects.  What made you finally decide to take the plunge and publish?
BR:  I kept splitting myself between projects. Before I really finished one I would think of a new idea and start that, so I never got anything done. With Elf Mastery I decided I had to dig in and follow through, as I feel if I get one successful project it will be easier to get others completed.
FU: They say that every character has some of the author in him/her.  Which of your characters is most like you?  In what way?
BR: All of the characters have a slice of me in them. I’m not sure which one would be closest, but I like to think I have Kyla’s youthfulness, Saul’s wit, and Denzig’s strength and compassion. I probably also have Aura’s detachment, to some degree.
FU:  So what is on the horizon?  What are your new projects? When is your next new release?
BR: I’m currently writing the sequel, Elf Doubt. It will be followed by a third book, Elf Righteous. I hope to have Elf Doubt out by the end of this year, and Elf Righteous sometime next year. After that I will likely turn my attention to one of my older projects that I never finished.
FU:  Those are fabulous titles! Thank you so much for chatting with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment