Monday 10 October 2016

INTERVIEW: Lawrence Verigin

Flurries Unlimited (FU) had the marvelous opportunity to chat with award-winning author Lawrence Verigin (LV). Here's what we talked about:

FU: There are so many different genres to choose from, what inspired you to write intrigue fiction revolving around social issues?


LV:
When I decided to write books my goal was to tell entertaining stories while writing about socially relevant subjects, so hopefully the reader would get into the book and at the end wonder if that was really happening. I think the thriller genre works best for what I'm trying to accomplish and is the most fun to write.

FU: What prompted you to write about genetically engineered seeds?


LV: It was my father who first told me about genetically engineered food and the crazy things that they doing, around 2000. He said, "can you believe that they're putting fish genes into tomato's?" I did some research and found that there were negative things that were happening that weren't being reported on in the media and that GMO's weren't turning out to be what they were advertised to be. Also, the companies doing the genetic engineering were perfect villain's, because they were notorious for developing products that were harmful to people and the environment. The manuscript I was writing at the time was going no where, so I scraped it and wrote Dark Seed.

FU: What other social issues do you think you might tackle with your fiction?


LV:
So far I would like to write books that tackle fracking, the division of wealth (the 1%) and government lobbyists. There will be more ideas as time goes on.

FU: You've received some impressive accolades for your debut novel. What words of advice to you have for fledgling novelists?

LV: Yes, people seem to really like Dark Seed. My advice for a new novelist is to never give up, learn everything you can about the craft of writing and just finish the first draft. It took 13 years from when I started Dark Seed to when it was published, because I had to learn the craft. Now it's easier and I'll keep writing books for the rest of my life.

FU: They say that every character has some of the author in him/her. Which of your characters is most like you? In what way?

LV: My wife and friends would be the first to tell you I'm like Nick Barnes. I tried to make him act different than I would, but many of his mannerisms are like mine. He has to toughen up as the series progresses, so either I have to toughen up or he'll become different than me :)

FU: So what is on the horizon? What are your new projects? After the second of the series comes out on 1 Nov, when will be your next new release?


LV: The sequel to Dark Seed, called Seed of Control, comes out November 1st and I'm currently writing the third book in the series that should be out in 2018. Then I would like to start a different series and maybe add more books to the "Seed" series later. LV: My wife and friends would be the first to tell you I'm like Nick Barnes. I tried to make him act different than I would, but many of his mannerisms are like mine. He has to toughen up as the series progresses, so either I have to toughen up or he'll become different than me :)

FU: Thanks for taking the time to chat with us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment