Thursday 15 September 2016

INTERVIEW: C.A. Verstraete

The folks at Flurries Unlimited (FU) were lucky enough to catch up with horror author and miniaturist C.A. Verstraete (CAV) for a one on one chat.  Here's what we discussed.

FU: There are so many different genres to choose from, what inspired you to write about zombies?

CAV: I’ve always enjoyed a good scare, and what’s scarier than zombies? I started watching The Walking Dead like everyone else and I admit I got hooked!

FU: And how do miniatures fit in with that?

CAV: Only that I love to create! If I’m not writing, I’m usually working on something in miniature. It’s my artistic and creative outlet. But as for miniatures and zombies, I haven’t created that scene… yet. I have built a miniature Haunted House with strange inhabitants and a butcher in the back room. That’s all I’ll say. Ha! (The photos are on my website, http://cverstraete.com, click miniatures and Haunted House)

FU:  What kind of crossover potential have you seen between the two? Miniature zombies? Zombies who enjoy dollhouses? ;-)

CAV: See above answer. Actually there are quite a few spooky or horror books and short stories that have involved dollhouses and dolls. Maybe I’ll write a haunted dollhouse story some day. You never know.

FU:  You've written so many books. Which is your favourite and why?

CAV: Not that many. I have contributed short stories to quite a few anthologies, though. I like writing those as I get to explore different ideas, but I have to admit writing about Lizzie Borden has to be my favorite. It was a challenge, but fun, to work the story around her real life and add in some strange background events.

FU: They say that every character has some of the author in him/her. Which of your characters is most like you? In what way?

CAV: I think as a writer you can’t help but put a little bit of yourself in each character. But just a little… I sure wouldn’t want to be like Lizzie! Maybe I’m a bit like Becca in GIRL Z: My Life as a Teenage Zombie. High school can be a time of adjusting and trying to find your way in life. Add becoming part-zombie and it makes that even worse. Not that I’d know about that, of course. Ha! (Except on those real late writing nights!)

FU:  So, what is on the horizon? What are your new projects? When is your next new release?

CAV: Getting Lizzie Borden, Zombie Hunter out has been my top priority for over a year now, so it’s almost hard to think beyond her! Actually, I like her enough that I started writing some short mystery stories with her. I’m also outlining the next book. There are quite a few issues I can address in the next book and I’m not quite ready to let go of Lizzie yet.

FU: Thank you so much for chatting with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment