Tuesday 26 January 2016

INTERVIEW: David Guenther

The Flurries Unlimited Team had the chance to chat with up and coming Science Fiction author David Guenther about his work.  This is what we discussed:
 
FU: There are so many different genres to choose from, what inspired you to write military science fiction?
 
DG: I read many different types of fiction and I downloaded a "Free" military science fiction eBook that was very well written by a veteran and got me totally hooked on the series, then the genre. It made me think of my own military experiences and how they could be converted to military science fiction.
 
FU:  How has your military background influenced your writing ?
 
DG:  I apply what I have learned and experienced in my twenty-one years in the USAF. The characters that I have known. The way military professionals interact. Being part of a society that others may peek into but never really understand and capture when they try and write about it.
 
FU:  You've written several books that are part of a series.  Which of the installments is your favourite and why?
 
DG:  My favorite is Gray Panthers: Dixie. It is the third book that I wrote, in every book I've written my quality and style has improved. My first book I had assistance from a teacher friend and readers were not happy with grammar and mechanical mistakes that detracted from the story. They still stayed with the series though because the story grabbed them, they also all mentioned the improvement in the books that followed. I finally revised that book, Gray Panthers: Battle for Earth, with the help of a profession editor so that new readers will enjoy it better. That was released earlier this month.
 
FU: They say that every character has some of the author in him/her.  Which of your characters is most like you?  In what way?
 
DG:  I have not really noticed, but then when you are so close it's easy to miss I guess. I have given some of my characters some of my experience to give them depth. I guess I have given some of my characters my sense dry of humor, ironically my readers that are veterans are the ones that make note of that in the characters.
 
FU:  So what is on the horizon?  What are your new projects? When is your next new release?
 
DG:  My writing is off the cuff. I sit down and let the story unfold with very little prior planning. Because of that, one side character I created refused to sit on the side lines. He continued to grow so now that the trilogy, Gray Panthers, is over he is getting his own book, Short Blade. The character is an alien that is a runt and pretty much looked down on in his society. He fought and lived among humans, giving him a new self perspective. He returns home and is a major success. How he proceeds from there is what makes the story interesting.
 
FU:  Thank you very much! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment