Thursday 21 January 2016

INTERVIEW: Elizabeth Bailey

The Flurries Unlimited team caught up with historical romance author Elizabeth Bailey to discuss her work and writing.  Here is our chat:

FU:  There are so many different genres to choose from, what inspired you to write historical romance?
EB:  Easy this one. Georgette Heyer was my favourite author from age 11, and I have re-read her over the years. When I came to write in hopes of getting published, it seemed natural to go for historical romance.

FU:  Many of your books seem to take place in the Regency period. What is your attraction to that era?
EB:  When I was first published by Harlequin Mills & Boon, my books were designated Regency, although the period in fact covers late Georgian as well. Since the publishers wanted more, all my research centred around this period and I grew to know it well and to love it too. I've always been drawn to the era, though. I love the manners, costumes, books, houses, really all the period details.

FU:  You've written well over a dozen books.  Which is your favourite and why?
EB:  Oh, that's hard. I think my favourite changes. I definitely have a soft spot for Mademoiselle at Arms, but perhaps my personal favourite is Seventh Heaven. Both are romps and pretty crazy, but I think Seventh Heaven has the edge. I remember my editor saying that the idea of this family named for Latin numbers was a touch a genius! And it has made a lot of readers laugh.

FU: They say that every character has some of the author in him/her.  Which of your characters is most like you?  In what way?
EB:  I think my Georgian sleuth Ottilia in the Lady Fan books is probably most like me. Like it or not, I found myself giving her my values and judgements about life, and I guess her ability to work out whodunnit comes from some skill deep in my own psyche.
FU: So what is on the horizon?  What are your new projects? When is your next new release?
EB:  I'm currently writing a Regency series on the theme of Cinderella brides. I did something similar with the governess trilogy a long time back. I'm on the third book, and the first will be coming out in Spring. The books are making their debut in anthologies put out with fellow Regency authors and the next one of those, Valentine Kisses: Regency Romantics, will be out in February.
FU:  Thank you so much for chatting with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment